Tuesday, August 22, 2017

The End!


Summer Fellows is finally finished, and my internship with artist Michele Kishita has been absolutely incredible! It saddens me that my time with her is done, but it is great to know I can always contact her about any of my future endeavors. I am so grateful to her for not only this experience, but for giving me the opportunity to succeed in my career moving forward.

Since starting this journey I have made leaps and bounds in terms of learning about technique, professionalism, and dedication. Michele is an extremely driven artist making her passion her career. She has shown me that although this career path may not always be the easiest, if you put in the time, effort, and knowledge of what it takes to succeed, you will.

In the span of only a few months I have made business cards, had my first art exhibition, helped hang a professional group exhibition, and so much more. None of this would have even been possible without Michele, which I am eternally thankful for. Having spent so much time with Michele I got to know her as a painter, and as an individual. Watching her create her pieces whether it was prints, commissions, or paintings was truly amazing. She considers every detail in her process of making, and I intend to do the same when creating my own pieces. Michele took me to art shows, introduced me to her professional colleagues, and allowed me to assist her when hanging her upcoming show at James Oliver Gallery. She recommended important art books to me, showed me well known art magazines, and gave me advice about Instagram information that was especially helpful for me being a young artist. Learning all of this new information at times could be overwhelming, but I am so happy I know all of this now as I go into my senior year.

It was inspiring for me to watch Michele create her work, and seeing it produced from start to finish was even more exciting. After interning with her I have developed a deeper understanding of the materials she uses, and how she uses them within the pieces. By preparing her panels, organizing her paints, working on her installation piece, and just working in her studio I feel I understand her process even more. Her attention to detail and way of working are vital to the content of her artwork. The linear forms, color choices, line work, and overall compositions are taken into consideration every time she paints. She studies, observes, and problem solves which all contribute to the creative process. From these observations I plan to take in what I have learned and apply that same thoughtfulness to my own paintings.

Michele Kishita in my opinion is truly a remarkable artist, and I feel so lucky to have had the opportunity to work with her this summer. I can’t wait to see what she will do next with her beautiful pieces, and in the art world!

No comments:

Post a Comment