Friday, September 1, 2017

Pre-Upcoming Project Interview

Pre-Upcoming Project Interview:

Glorious: Have you ever went on a mural arts tour?

Veronica: Yes, when I was 16. I didn’t like it.
Glorious: In my experience, the tour is provided by older white women who take their participants on a train trip through un-gentrified West Philly to give them the background information on a tagger’s artistic process without much information about graffiti itself or the culture and people it comes from. This tour costs. Overall thoughts?


Veronica: Yep. It’s weird that they don’t see this as creating a spectacle of neighborhoods.
I went on a mural tour when I was 16, visiting Philly for the first time. We were on a double decker bus and a man on the microphone talked about the artwork but not about why it was there or anything. When we got to North Philly, a little kid shouted at us to get out of his neighborhood and I was like, yeah we should really get off this giant red bus and people should probably stop taking pictures of people hanging out on their stoops. I think if you want to go see murals, have the decency to get out of the car or get off the bus and say hi to the people who live there. If you’re giving these tours, provide more context. If the mural is now a tourist destination, give that neighborhood a cut of the profits. Present all this at community meetings and get their permission and feedback.

Glorious: Like some of the mural arts tours, your next project involves transportation. Tell me a little bit about it.

Veronica: This project hinges on people not knowing specifics about it for a while for legal reasons. I’ll tell you that the goal of the project is to seminate useful information to as many people as possible, using the aesthetic of the advertisements we see all around us.

Glorious: Will the art contributed to this project also be free like the ones in the MSM exhibition?

Veronica: The art in MSM was not free. Artists deserve to make a living from their work. The artwork in this project will be reproductions of originals and they will be free.

Glorious: What is motivating you to do the project?

Veronica: Let’s leave this project unnamed for now. The state of American politics is appalling. I’m motivated by my own value system that requires me to be helpful and useful to as many people as I can, using the tools I possess. Information is empowering. Seminating information will be empowering to others.

Glorious: From my understanding, the event will be 7 consecutive days, why not longer?

Veronica: Because I don’t have the time or resources to do it for any longer.

Glorious: Since this event is politically charged, will you consider running again, November 2018, when House of Representative seats will be up for re-election?

Veronica: I would like to.

No comments:

Post a Comment