Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Week 3


This past week I accompanied Michele on a studio visit with Philadelphia artist Elyce Abrams. It was my first ever studio visit with two professional artists, and I was extremely excited and grateful I could be there. I learned a lot from listening to the both of them communicate, and from the visit itself. Elyce was a painting major at Uarts as well as Michele, and graduated in 2006. The two talked about ways of hanging their pieces, different studios they have rented out, as well as both their practices. For example, Elyce hangs her work in her studio with the use of cleated hanging and keyholes. This process allows her to interchange work so there is no need to continue nailing holes into the wall, which creates a more efficient workspace. It was interesting to see the similarities and differences between them, as well as relating their work to my own. We all are within the realm of abstraction, so I am glad I got a personal look at how they approach making their artwork. I had the chance of asking Elyce a few questions of my own which were, “What inspires you to make this type of work, and have you always worked in this way?” As well as, “What artists or type of art inspires you?” She responded by saying she used to work differently, by incorporating scraping paint across the surface of the panel, which resembled mark making. Rather than painting, spray painting, and sectioning off parts of the piece to create geometric forms and lines as she does now. The linear aspects of her pieces are similar to Michele’s, but unlike Elyce she does not incorporate the use of spray paint. Her lines are more matte, precise, and incorporate the wood panel within the piece itself. Elyce and Michele each have a unique perspective on their subjects, which was great for me as a student to experience.

I continue working on organizing and taking inventory of Michele’s supplies. I also started a new project this week, to create a color wall of paint swatches labeled with their corresponding names. This will not only allow Michele to see her paints quickly if necessary for a piece, but also will make it much easier when she needs to buy that paint again.

Since I started Summer Fellows I’ve been asking Michele questions about her practice, her as an artist, and about the art world in general. She says she has always wanted to be an artist since she can remember, and I can definitely relate. I’m excited to keep getting to know her and learn from her more than I already have.




















No comments:

Post a Comment