Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Communication & Confidence

I feel much more comfortable and confident in the work that I'm doing with the company and am enjoying getting to know the dancers and Eryc more and more with each visit. This week started off with a lot of cleaning up the website and talking over ideas with Nicole and Eryc about the direction they see the company going in over the course of the year. I really appreciate how open and honest they are with each other about the way that things either work or don’t work as far as balancing the company with the outreach program and what they hope to accomplish. Not only do they bring each other back to reality, but they are able to talk to each other in a way that’s not rude or upsetting while also being really honest

This type of communication seems to be really valuable and I hope that it’s something I can pick up on and learn how to do within my own life. I find that when I try to be honest or straightforward with people that they either get offended or don’t really listen or acknowledge what I have to say. Sometimes I'm guilty of being upset or offended by hearing the truth or someone else’s opinion as well and I think that listening and overcoming that could be really beneficial to my own growth. Obviously there are certain situations where boundaries have to be kept in mind, but I appreciate and look up to their general understanding of each other's role in this situation.

Another interesting thing I've noticed about Eryc over the past few weeks is that he presents himself astonishingly well. He knows how to get people interested in the things he’s doing and his accomplishments without being too forward or make it feel like he’s bragging. This has a lot to do with his confidence in himself and in his company and it really works for him. I’ve realized that having your own personal truths can oftentimes turn into reality as long as you firmly believe in your truths. I don’t know if this makes sense, and I certainly know it’s not always true, but I’ve seen this happen to people.

Also, I feel like I'm not able to contribute to the media aspect of the job as much as I would have liked to by now due to the fact that I don’t own an actual camera besides a film camera and my iPhone. I still try and take pictures at every rehearsal, but the quality of photos is just not as good as they would be on a professional camera. I really wanted to use this opportunity to enhance my knowledge of dance photography in a real-life setting and I just feel as if I'm missing that right now. Hopefully I will get a real camera soon.


~More to come

No comments:

Post a Comment