Sunday, June 11, 2017

Two Weeks in!

For the first week Michele and I talked a lot about her work, her process of making, as well as her art career. I learned where she gets her supplies from such as paints, tape, her wood panels, and other necessities to create her pieces. Her studio is in a building with other artists, businesses, and many other people in an amazing old warehouse. There she not only makes her work, but also has studio visits with other artists, curators, and investors. I spent the first few days organizing and cleaning her materials to make room for new ones. She mixes a lot of her own paints, has them made, or buys them as they are. Usually, they are house paints because she says she does not like the paint sold at art stores. I found it interesting looking at all of the different colors she uses, while labeling and organized them. Watching her create pieces was extremely exciting. She is not only very experienced, but also has her own voice and style, which is completely hers.

Michele also invited me to accompany her to a show she was in at Mainline Art Center, as well as an exhibition at Woodmere Art Museum on the Saturday of my first week! It was a great experience to see artist interactions in a professional setting, and how Michele carried herself in that. She spoke with a variety of people, and handed out her business cards networking and making connections. It was amazing to see the artists and their work in a setting other than in Center City Philadelphia. It is so different from the school environment that I am accustomed to, and I’m so glad Michele took me to see it.

In these past two weeks I created an elevator pitch, made business cards, learned how to wire canvases, and created a mailing chimp account to message others about upcoming shows. I learned about different materials, bought my name for my website that will be up by the end of the summer, and so much more. Michele has also been a tremendous help with preparing me for my upcoming show this July at the Gryphon Café in Wayne, PA. Her dedication and level of professionalism is what I strive for, and how I am trying to approach my first show.


Michele has taught me so much about the art world in these past few weeks than I could have ever learned on my own. I am so grateful to be apart of this program, and to be interning with Michele. I can’t wait to see what this week brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment