Thursday, July 20, 2017

Week 8

I spent most of the morning organizing art supplies in one of the classrooms. I sorted through all kinds of things, including scrapbook paper, glue, beads, gems, ribbons, gimp, and little odds and ends I don't really have names for. It was a lot to go through, but I feel like I made some progress.


 In the afternoon, I helped Nicole set up for a class on paper making. We sorted through huge boxes of paper scraps, organizing them by color. She showed me how to make different colored paper pulp by ripping up the paper, and blending it in a blender with water. The pulp is then pressed into its' preferred shape, and the water is pressed out, leaving the pulp to dry into paper.



She also showed me how to make a less wasteful, more cost effective type of water color paint, by draining the ink out of old markers and soaking it into water. The result is a very pigmented, unique color that you can customize any way you like. We used this to give the paper pulp even richer color.

The kids had fun making different-sized paper bowls, molds of various shapes (hearts, stars, circles, flowers), and creating free form designs out of the paper pulp.

Here are a few of their creations:









No comments:

Post a Comment