Monday, July 24, 2017

Post Paris

AHH. So much has happened in the past month it’s kind of crazy. I got back from Paris with the school of dance, which was amazing, but left me feeling kind of scatterbrained in Philly. I finally feel like i'm back to working as efficiently as I was before leaving and getting into the swing of things with the company.

I’ve been working alot with organizing and gathering information for practical uses such as grants, residencies, possible donors, advertisement spaces, space grants, and festivals. Not only has this research helped the company, but it’s great information for me to start getting familiar with so I understand the possibilities for when I graduate. I already found a few residencies and festivals that I myself might apply to in the near future as an emerging artist. I definitely think this kind of research is something I can use in the future even though it is very tedious work and time consuming due to the nature of the information being embedded in each website. I even started to create my own personalized list for the future of things that apply to me and maybe not the company or both the company and myself.

Another project i’ve been working on is making small instagram videos for the company that can promote short clips of stuff we’ve caught in rehearsal. I initially made a video that I really liked, but was too long and not as fast paced as Eryc envisioned. After talking to him and getting more of an idea of what he wanted, I had to remake the video which was surprisingly difficult. The first one I made took no more than 10, minutes and I really enjoyed making it so it was easy. This time around I had trouble even putting clips together that I liked and found interesting, partly because I was confused on how he wanted it and partly because it required altering the video in unnatural ways. I had more of a simple vision while his was very extravagant, so I had to find a way to do this to his liking, that also made sense to me. I know that sounds dramatic, but it was really hard for me and something I’ll definitely need to practice for the future.

Other than that, I’ve been attending rehearsals and documenting for them through photo and video which has also been an interesting practice. The piece that they have been working on is nearly complete and i’ve learned so much just by watching them put together their vision of the work.

More to come~

1 comment:

  1. So jealous that you got to go to Paris. I went with a student program when I was 13 and absolutely loved it.

    ReplyDelete