Thursday, August 24, 2017

final thoughts

Looking back on my initial goals of the summer one thing I've been questioning thanks to Kay’s insight is my t-shirt busniess. The shirts I sell are all mostly related to bands or tvs shows. Kay made me realise that this takes away money from the original artist. And although Ii already knew that and felt bad about it, I realize now I should probably focus more on original content and building up my own brand identity. Although the shirts are all drawn in my style and I’m not stealing any imagery, I’m still stealing a name by writing it on the shirt. I definitely don’t sell as much original drawings as I do fan merchandise but  I see this as a good future goal, to grow my own brand identity.
Another one of my goals was incorporating more hand made traditional work with digital.
I’ve noticed growth in my sketchbook over the summer. I’ve been Working more with mixed media. I've been working in my sketchbook constantly but have failed to try more digital things. Although I failed to work more digitally, I think it’s very important to try new things and be happy while working. I’m very thankful for Kay’s influence on using more tangible things in my sketchbook.
Some of my Favorite things about this fellowship were the small things like trips to run errands and the drive to the senior center. Another part I really appreciated about this experience was the chance to meet new people like Kay’s other intern Ornella! I also loved meeting the other college interns working at the senior center and bumping into various other people. It seems like Kay knows everyone!
On another note, having Kay’s husband Greg working in the same studio was a great experience. Greg is a children's book illustrator and writer and although I wasn't working with him directly, it was great to get a small insight about what working in that world is like. I loved seeing the process behind what goes into making a book!
Kay took ornella and I out to lunch on our last week which I really appreciated, she honestly made this experience feel like so much more than just an internship.  

I felt really bad I was a bit late for a few of our last meetings because of health problems. :( I will definitely miss working with Kay so much but I’ll take what I’ve learned and continue incorporating it in my work! Kay truly did so much for me and i’m so thankful for the opportunity! I learned so much about her artistic process along with skills I  can use and I also grew as a person and was able to meet personal goals!

1 comment:

  1. It was so great that we met Julia!!! I can definitely see us collaborating and going on home depot adventures in the future :)))))))

    ReplyDelete