Saturday, August 26, 2017

A day of prototyping

One project I worked on this summer with Remark Glass was prototyping and blowing new products. I was tasked to take inspiration from the products they already create and develop my own, all to be using recycled bottle glass to be blown in their hot shop. I personally have an aptitude for coldworking processes so I chose to utilize these as well. In my own artistic practice I have experience with making various goblets and drinking glasses.

After looking at the glass available to me and brainstorming I developed a method to use as much of a single bottle as possible to create stemware. I cut the bottoms of punt bottomed wine bottles out to be heated and paddled into the feet for my stemware pieces. The neck of the bottle was used to make the stem. I heated it and using the jacks to constrict the glass in certain areas I was able to create stems that retained aspects of the bottle while still separating it enough visually to show that it is handcrafted. The remainder middle section of the bottle was then used to blow the body of the glasses.


This was my first time actually having blowing time completely to myself and my ideas this summer which was an absolute luxury! At this point I was very comfortable in their hot shop from assisting so I was able to maneuver efficiently with the working time I had. Running a hot shop is very expensive so I was incredibly grateful for being given this opportunity. I am looking forward to working on these and coldworking the components together to create finished products.  

No comments:

Post a Comment