Thursday, July 20, 2017

Zach's Introduction to Remark Glass

Hi, I’m Zach

This summer I have been working with Remark Glass in South Philly. I am doing a glass concentration under IFA at The University of the Arts and this coming fall will be my senior year. This internship has been a great experience so far where I am working in an environment and with a material I am comfortable with.

The summer so far has been a combination of practicing and applying the skills I already know in a work environment as well as some intense learning. I’ve been learning a lot lately, in particular about mirroring processes. There's so many steps to do it right! This process in particular requires lab like attention, because you are working with chemistry. I’ve also been doing a ton of cold working. For this I’m grinding away and polishing tiny amounts of glass on the bottoms of cups, bowls, plates, and vases so they all sit perfectly on a table. I have been really enjoying doing this type of work as the more practice I get the better I will get at it, which will show through in my own personal work.

All of this is without even mentioning the nice schedule and ritual this internship has added to my summer. I’m not even sleeping in late on the weekends! I feel energized and look forward to my morning bagel before the subway ride down to Snyder on days I work with Remark Glass. I’ve noticed I have been thinking about my own work so often as well, and am excited for the upcoming fall.

Looking forward to writing my next post and getting into more detail of the stuff we’ve been working on!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Zach, sounds like you really enjoy your summer fellows. I never have taken an intro to glass at Uarts but I always had an interest in it. I never thought about the process that it takes in order to create something that most people overlook (polishing the bottom of cups, bowls etc.) I think its really interesting that the steps needed to make mirroring processes would require chemistry! Is that for all mirrors or all things that have a reflection? I think its great that this program not only helps our alumni but it helps us as well. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

    ReplyDelete