Saturday, July 8, 2017

Life advice, progress in skills and constant inspirations

Something I love about working with Kay is the stories and subjects of all her pieces. She tells me most of the stories behind all of her creations and I find all of them so interesting. Most come from either personal stories or stores from people she interviewed. I also find it very interesting how she works with mainly furniture and objects but they all mostly represent a people and so much more than the object itself. I feel like working with objects instead of directly depicting people will help me a lot in my illustration work because I tend to focus on just drawing people directly. I want to try to branch out and draw more of the world but still in my style. I feel like working with Kay through her objects  will help me find this style and also help me put more of an importance on the thing I am drawing. I'm learning that every mark should be important. Kay’s extremely labor intensive process fills every step with love. I'm learning to treat my own creates and drawings with this same amount care and love. She teaches me to have patience in what she is creating  and if she messes up she doesn't just leave it, she goes back and fixes it. It's these elements that I'm lacking in my own work.
Along with learning the actual process of creating pieces with Kay, she's also given me a lot of life advice which I find extremely useful! She has recommenders me movies, book health and wellness, and even relationship advice. She's also tired to help me find a new apartment and new job and let me cat sit for her! I feel extremely lucky to be able to house sit for her while on vacation because her home is filled with so much inspiration everywhere which makes me want to start drawings and exploring more mediums! It’s such a great environment for artists. Kay is also open to any suggestions I have on her process and work which is amazing. She lets me test out new processes that might be useful to her in the future.
Simple trips to run errands with Kay are filled with inspiration for me. She makes seemingly boring places like a sewing repair store seem exciting and she makes sure to stop at great inspiring places like Eyes Gallery and Jinxed along the way.

With the constraint intake of inspiration I’ve noticed recently in my sketchbook that I’ve been drawing more objects and things instead of wanting to draw people. I also find myself subconsciously making things of similar subject matter, for example I created a series of tiny houses only to realize a few days later Kay had done a similar series in the past. I have found that working with Kay has also really helped bring back my love of using different mediums and has also improved my skill level in things like sewing. She is an extremely helpful and open person and I'm looking forward to learning much more!

No comments:

Post a Comment