Friday, July 7, 2017

Defining Success for Me

It was a success! Every doubt I had, things I thought could go horribly wrong thankfully did not. My work will be shown at the Gryphon Café in Wayne, PA for the entire month, from July 2nd-August 6th. The 2nd was the day we hung our work. All three of us were only given the first hour the café opened to hang, which was very nerve racking. The hanging was a bit rushed, but with the help of my parents we were able to finish in time with no major mishaps. I did however, have one misunderstanding that I have been a little hard on myself for. Before, when I read in the Gryphon exhibition requirements I thought we would get only 20% of the profit per piece sold, while the café gets 80%. But, in fact it is reversed, we get 80 while they get 20. So, I overpriced my work a bit with that assumption in mind. I am trying to keep reminding myself of something Michele told me when we first met, to never dismiss or diminish my work. Usually I would underprice my work in fact. So, if I start acting as though I as an artist, and my pieces are worth it others may too.

The two other fine artists I am showing with this month are Anna Kosher and Jessi Brown. Jessi is an artist who works with paper cuts. Her pieces are extremely intricate, well crafted, and have a whimsical feel. While Anna a painter like me, usually works with the figure placed in specific settings. She expresses these scenes while playing with various brush stokes, and the paint itself. I have consulted with them throughout this process, and we coordinated having a reception on July 7th, which went amazing. All of this was new to me, I have been to exhibitions before, but never my own.  I invited my friends and family to attend, which was great. They were there to support me, and what I was doing, and I felt incredibly proud that I was able to experience it. I also got the chance to network with people I had never met before. It was good practice for me especially being as shy as I am. Although I did a lot of work on my own, all of the details and knowledge I was taught about how to do a great deal of it is due to Michele. The reception itself wouldn’t have even happened if it weren’t for her. For that I am extremely grateful, and always will be to her for helping me pull off my very first art show.

Hopefully, fingers crossed that I sell a piece!




1 comment:

  1. Hey! This looks incredible, congrats on your first exhibition of your own work- hopefully there will be many more.
    Maybe the misunderstanding about the price will work in your favor like Michele said and help people to see your worth as an artist. It can be hard to break that box and step out of your comfort zone as you mentioned, but it seems like this mishap was the perfect opportunity to do so.

    ReplyDelete