Tuesday, May 30, 2017

#2 My First Week!

I can truly say i’m already starting to get a feel for New York just within these past two days.

Tuesday I met up with Nicole and Andrew of ETD and basically went over what type of things I would be doing in the coming weeks to help them. We then traveled to a gorgeous studio where I got to take class with the company and then watch and document their rehearsal process. One of my assignments is to take two useable photos a week to upkeep social media posts that showcase the rehearsal process and not just photoshoots. I’m excited that they’re using my photography skills and look forward to the challenge of keeping fresh and interesting photos posted to their pages. Dance is such a challenging art form to capture in photography because a lot of times the essence of the movement or pose gets lost in the translation. Im hoping to get my own DSLR soon so that I can practice on something other than an IPhone, but it’ll do for now.

Wednesday I worked on another assignment remotely from Philly and got to explore and learn about Trello, the system they use to communicate with each other and update progress on projects. I’m still trying to work my way around the system, but the best way to learn is to do so we’ll see how it goes!

Thursday I had the task of sorting through and organizing “the big black bag” full of all the things they had been meaning to get to, but never got the chance to do. After separating and organizing, Eryc and I went through and noted all of the things I would eventually have to do with those documents as an ongoing assignment. I then went over my schedule with Eryc and Nicole for the next few weeks and solidified days and times that i’ll be coming in or working from Philly. My goal is to go to NY at least two times a week and so far it seems like that will happen.

Something i’ve noticed during their rehearsal process is that the dancers and Eryc know how to work efficiently, but also know how to have fun. There is a great energy in the space because they're not afraid to try things that might not look right the first time around, and I think it is largely due to the fact that they're all such friendly people. They workshop their ideas and every dancer gives input to the creative process in what might help fix a problem which is really nice to see. They are building a piece, but they are also building a small community, one that I'm happy to be able to observe and visit during my time with them.

More to come~

No comments:

Post a Comment